Sunday, June 12, 2011

Scary moment

Shortly after Emmas 5th birthday party I got sick. The docs thought it was tonsillitis but after a week of antibiotics and no improvement  at all and constant fevers they thought it might be Mono, but the test takes a few days to get the results from. And while waiting for those results Emma started to complain that she was not feeling well. Everyone assumed she was getting whatever I had. And if it WAS Mono then she most definitely would have had it because she steals my drinks we share drinks all the time.
But on Monday the 23rd she had a fever of 103.3 and complaining of belly pain, which concerned me greatly because mono can cause your liver to enlarge. So we called her Doc who told us to go to the ER. I called Matt who was out for a friends birthday to come here and watch Sophia so I could take Emma. Everyone yelled at me for wanting to take Emma. I was told to let Matt, or my dad to take her because I was still so sick. But there was NO WAY anyone was going to take her but me, because if my baby is sick I'm going to be there.
We get to the ER and Emma gets checked in right away, her fever was down to 98.6, and she was in good spirits. Really Emma?? REALLY!?!

The doc came in the room and pushed on her belly asked her a few questions which she wouldn't really answer. No imaging no blood work no urine test. Nothing. But they did have her jump at one point and she did that just fine.
I did try to explain that she doesn't show other people when something hurts. When she needs shots or blood work, she won't cry. she just doesn't.  But I assume Doc's know best and if they arn't worried then I won't worry, its just a virus.

A whole week passed and Emma was not improving. Neither was I though. I got put on her Antibiotics and since it was assumed Emma had whatever I had, I made them put her on antibiotics just in case as well. After that the mono test came back negative. But that's okay because by Thursday I was starting to feel better.
Thursday night though Emma was really complaining of belly pain, which she has been doing all week. I knew she had her physical in the morning so Matt and I decided she could wait. Though I really didnt feel like we should. But on Monday I also thought she needed to go to the ER and it was 4 hours just to be sent home. I didn't want my crazy mommy mind and worry to put everyone through that again because I knew Matt had to work early and Sophia doesn't really sleep unless I'm home. So we decided to wait.

First thing in the morning. I had to wake Emma up, and that's not normal, and she looked awful.just aweful, I knew something was really wrong.

We got in to the docs and waiting what seemed like forever which also isn't normal, we are usually right in and right out. But this time not so much. After her exam I asked it was appendicitis and he said it seems like it could be and to bring her to the ER right away. As he was talking I was already packing us up. I called my dad on the way to the car and told him to go to the ER and that I needed him to get Sophia and watch her for the day. Thankfully My dad is the best and rushed to meet us there. I called Matt next and he told me to keep him updated. I told him not to leave work yet because I didn't want him to leave for nothing. I walked in the Er and they took us immediately back to a room. And wouldn't you know it was the same Doc we had on Monday when we went. and wouldn't you know he remembered us.
I was in such a rare form that I didn't give him attitude or let him know that because of him we were in this position.
Everything litterally went so fast as soon as we walked in. I think we got there at 11:15.
by 11:30 my dad came to get Sophia. IV was in by 1140. At that point I told Matt to get out of work. 11:50 the surgical team came in to evaluate her. There were SO MANY doctors in and out of her room in such a short time and once they would leave they would hover outside her room. Had her on Morphine by noon. 1210 we went for an ultrasound to confirm it was appendicitis and check to see if it had ruptured.
The Head surgeon thought it was highly possible that it ruptured because she had it for so long. Thanfully It did not.
We got taken up to the pre-op room with Emma, did more intake stuff. and by 2 she was being wheeled away. ( Matt got there sometime after the ultrasound but before going up stairs)
It was SO HARD not to cry. The whole time though, through all the poking and doctors coming in and out Emma just laid there watching cartoons. She was pretty unfazed by everything. She just wanted to know if she was going to be sleeping there and if she was going to get to order hospital food, because that was SO EXCITING!!
They said it would be a 1-2 hour surgery and once the second hour came and went I started to freak out a bit. And I couldn't believe or wrap my head around the fact that my little 5 year old was in another room having SURGERY!
Right before the third hour the surgeon came out to tell us she is fine but it was difficult for them to get the appendix out.
I wasnt able to go see her for about 40 minutes after that. As soon as I went back and saw her though I was okay.
She looked so little and so white. I wanted to crawl into bed with her and snuggle her.

As soon as she woke up a little and saw me she asked if she could have food and then went back to sleep. haha
I lost track of time after that but we got up to her room and Matt left to go get sophia and go home. I stayed overnight with Emma.
by midnight the same night, Emma got up and walked to the bathroom. She did need help obviously, but Wow! I wouldn't have been able to do that. Nor would I have wanted to. I did carry her back to bed. The next morning she was lethargic and sleepy. I told the docs she needed more then liquids so they let her get a grilled cheese for lunch and after that she brightened up. Started talking. She asked to move from her bed to the chair. Then went back to her bed sat on the side and blew bubbles, colored in her coloring book. and by 4pm that night we went home.

Emma is simply amazing. So brave. So strong.

Her 3 incisions on her tummy are healed. We go to her follow up appt with the head surgeon on Tuesday, but I only expect them to tell her how great she did and how well she healed.

I'm pretty sure this was much scarier for me then her, and I had such a hard time dealing with this when she was just concerned with the food they were going to give her. But that's me Emma for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment